ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

A change on OneWorld hold luggage check through

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Dirk, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Dirk

Dirk Reader

Not so much a question as to sharing an experience. I've search the website but can't find a place to post an experience unless I'm just having one of my days!

To recap, we live on Madeira island and must go to work often in the UK. We don't have much of a choice of airlines to get miles benefits except BA for direct flights. Anyway while we are in the UK we always work in a fun trip as well since the travel is so much cheaper from the UK.

This time we decided to go the last 3 days to Amsterdam and just to connect at Gatwick on our way back. Before I booked our tickets (also with BA) I've checked that they do actually sell Amsterdam Gatwick Funchal as one booking, as the connection time was limited. Our arrival time at Gatwick on flight BA2760 was 11:10AM and departure for Funchal on BA2780 at 12:35PM. A bit tight but ok since I was going to book our luggage through directly from Amsterdam to Funchal, as I have done on previous ocasions.

Everything went according to plan, except at check in where I was told I could not book my luggage through. It came as a big surprise since I have done this before and my understanding was as long as you are on the same airline alliance, you could book your hold luggage through. Apparently it changed in 2016 sometime and unless you read the fine print or end up in a similar situation as we have you would not know. Not even flying the same airline you would be able to book your hold luggage through unless it is on one booking.

We were lucky and just made it to check in again and rush off to the plane. Hopefully our experience can help other people avoid similar experiences.

2. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

Hi Dirk, just to clarify you had a round-trip booked FNC-LGW-FNC and a separate ticket LGW-AMS-LGW but were flying home AMS-LGW-FNC? Yes, at that point you're just at the mercy of your check-in agent. Some might do it for you while others won't. Glad you were able to re-check your luggage in time.

Gia likes this.
  3. Tiffany

Tiffany One Mile At A Time