ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Best Card for Large Group Travel

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by J__912, Jan 11, 2018.

1. J__912

J__912 New Member

Hi Lucky!

I'm booking an international trip for me and 8 of my friends this summer and was wondering which card is the best to use. I'm planning on using my my Uber card to pay for the entire trip since hotel/airfare is 3% back but I noticed I was targeted for the Amex Platinum 100,000 point sign up bonus. I've had the Amex Everyday for a little over a year now and really only use it for Amex Offers. Is it worth upgrading to the Amex Platinum to pay for this trip and potentially cancelling it before next year or should I just stick with my uber card? I fly around 20 times a year for work/leisure so I also have been trying to take that into account in whether the Platinum will be the best in the long run especially because of precheck/global entry and the travel credit.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

I guess it depends on whether you want cash back or some sort of flexible points. The 100K offer is a great one and here's the perfect opportunity to meet the spending requirement easily. I would guess you could also apply for the Chase Sapphire Reserve, which earns 3x points on travel, and meet that spending requirement as well. Yes, they're both expensive cards but you would end up with a couple of different flexible currencies. On the other hand if you set the cash back aside for later use you're not dependent on award availability.

J__912 and Gaurav like this.
  3. J__912

J__912 New Member

Thank you for the quick response! I just looked into the Reserve as well. Most of my money is spent on bars, dining and ubers so the 3x on the Reserve might be best for me long term. I know Lucky values Amex and Chase points pretty equal but I'm wondering which is the better option to redeem points on at this point.

4. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

It depends on which airlines/routes you tend to fly. In this old post, Frequent Miler has a link to a spreadsheet that shows where you can transfer your MR and UR points and the ratios. The spreadsheet is kept up-to-date. So take a look at that see what fits your planned use of the points. And keep in mind that even if you don't fly a particular airline, if it's in an alliance that has an airline flying the route, it can still be advantageous.

Case in point, last year I needed a flight home from Tokyo to the US and I liked the timing of the flight on ANA. I could have transferred my UR points to United, which charged 110K miles for the first class flight I wanted. But URs can also be transferred to Singapore and they only wanted 100K miles for the same flight (pricing has since changed). Because all three airlines are in Star Alliance I transferred my points to Singapore and got the long haul flight on ANA to Houston and connected to a United flight for the last leg home.

5. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

Given that expenses will be significant for planning travel for eight people there's no reason not to get both the Plat and the Reserve. You should be able to hit the minimum spend for both and earn 5x on the plat with the flight bookings. If you decide not to keep it long term you can always downgrade to a no-fee MR earning card (or better open a new no-fee MR earning card for another sign up bonus).