ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Award Redemption Best Strategy - West Coast => Tel Aviv

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Uri, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Uri

Uri New Member

Hi All!
    Its time to plan next summer's family trip to Tel Aviv (TLV). I have a significant amount of Chase Ultimate Rewards points, which are pretty flexible, and I am looking at the best airline to transfer.

Right now, to me, it seems like transferring to American Airlines and taking advantage of their October promotion to buy leftover miles.

Any other opinions? recommendations? Should I wait for a BA sale in December?

2. rickyw

rickyw Active Member

Hi Uri, Chase UR do not transfer to American Airlines. Your best option there would probably be United. If you'll need to purchase miles to cover the difference, you can do that with United, too.

Rates on United are (one-way) 42,500 miles in coach, 70,000 in business/80,000 in business on Star Alliance partners. You'd have to connect somewhere in Europe, as I doubt you'd find availability on the non-stop flight.

Good luck!

3. wilve

wilve Member

You can also transfer to FlyingBlue, which has some discounted business class fares that'll get you all the way from any of the listed cities all the way to Tel Aviv, at a little under 50,000 miles each way.

If you just want coach, the best value may be buying the ticket with Chase points

4. Uri

Uri New Member

Huh, you are right, I somehow assumed that since BA (OneWorld) is partnering with Chase so will AA. I guess I will figure out how complicated is it to redeem on AA using BA Avios (and this site has a lot of info about that topic)

5. rickyw

rickyw Active Member

Be careful with BA. It's distance based, so from the west coast it'd be pretty pricey. And they'd probably route you through London, which has very high taxes and fees.

6. Uri

Uri New Member

Yes, I am trying to look If I can book a partner flight SFO=>HEL=>TLV - skipping LHR completely

7. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

Worth checking, but Finnair usually releases very few seats. AA often has ghost space showing so double check before making any transfers.