ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Award Redemption Best way to get to Tokyo fromYVR?

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by MMM, Oct 7, 2017.

1. MMM

MMM Member

Hoping I can get some advice on some of the best ways to get to Tokyo around Thanksgiving from Vancouver?

Is the following correct? I think I found some availabilities on United's site for Air Canada flights. It would cost 35k or 75k United points for economy or business class one way. The taxes seem very reasonable (~$35 each way), compared to what I've paid for Cathay or Singapore Airlines. Is it really as simple as me transferring Chase UR over to United & then being able to book it online right away? Any chance those are phantom seats & I should double check somewhere else before transferring points?

I also see ANA economy available on the return? Is economy on Air Canada or ANA better?

Plus any other suggestions on getting to Tokyo from Van? Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  2. Jacob McCarthy

Jacob McCarthy Active Member

I verified the outbound space on United.com, Aeroplan's site, and ANA's site and can see saver space in business class on Air Canada on 11/21 and 11/22. ANA is the "gold standard" for Star Alliance space. If you can see it on ANA, it is almost always bookable. Yes, it should be that simple to book. Per Lucky's blog post, Chase UR to United is "instant." I'm unsure if AC's or NH's economy is better.
    11-21 UA.png 11-22 UA.png 11-21 AC.png 11-22 AC.png 11-21 NH.png 11-22 NH.png

3. MMM

MMM Member

You're awesome! Thanks Jacob!
    Now that I think about it, it seems like a lot of points for business class? 150k points round trip is a lot especially when I think it's 140k Alaska points for Cathay First or 100k for Biz. Although tax is cheaper thru United. Meanwhile, it's only about $600 cash for round trip in economy...doesnt seem worth it to use 70k UR points for economy at all.

4. gdis2002

gdis2002 New Member

If it's $600 cash round trip for the economy ticket, I would not use 70k UR points.. that's about .85 cents/point which is pretty bad. If you want to use UR points you can just book through the portal for 1.5 cents per point. It would cost you 40k UR points through their travel portal AND you would get whatever miles etc into your account.

150k points is a lot.. only you can decide if it's worth it to you to fly business. The other option is to fly economy there and biz home.