ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Award Redemption CONSOLIDATED: Questions on booking Etihad First and Business with AA miles

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Kathy, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Kathy

Kathy Reader

I'm hoping to use AAdvantage miles to book two first class seats on Etihad for next September. On Saturday I started looking for guest first seats from Dallas to Delhi for September 2016. There was good availability - wish I'd put them on hold then!! The next day all availability had disappeared. Now I'm not seeing any first or business seats for any US cities to Delhi for all of next year. Same thing for US to AUH. Anyone have any idea what's going on? Could it be related to the devaluation of the American award chart?

TravelDesi likes this.
  2. Sunil

Sunil New Member

Etihad flights seem to disappear and come back on AA. Have a look on the Etihad guest flight booking page: http://www.etihad.com/en-us/plan-and-book/book-redemption-flights/
    You don't need to be a member to use it - if you can see Guest First seats available then they should be there, even if American can't see them. Call back after a few hours and see if they show up again. If they have disappeared from the Etihad system then someone has booked them/Etihad has removed the availability
    I had this same issue a couple days ago, but when I called them up about 5 hours later, the flights were back on the system.

Tiffany likes this.
  3. John P

John P New Member

Is anyone still having problem with premium cabin availability on Etihad? I have checked the Guest First seats carefully, but every time i call the EXP Desk, they see no premium cabin availability at all. I keep calling back every few hours hoping it's just a IT glitch. Any insight or suggestions?

4. Kathy

Kathy New Member

Yes, I'm now having the same problem John. I can see that the Guest First premium (first class) seats are available but when I call AA they can't see any premium cabin availability. I keep calling back but nothing so far.

mngg likes this.
  5. PhatMiles

PhatMiles Active Member

I am having the same problems as everyone. Ironically I see 4+ seats on the flights I want but cannot book them. Damn!!!!

6. David W

David W Well-Known Member

I'm having these problems as well. I see availability on various days AUH-LHR and none are bookable when I call AAdvantage. Frustrating!!

7. Tiffany

Tiffany One Mile At A Time

Us too :(

Really annoying, but continuing to call every few hours is probably the best bet. Hopefully it will be restored soon!

8. PhatMiles

PhatMiles Active Member

Would you mind updating us when you strike some luck?

9. Tiffany

We were just able to ticket one for a client based overseas (which means we had to call the foreign call center for them to process the credit card correctly).

So I'd try calling again, and if US agents still can't see space it's probably worth the Google Voice/Skype call to another reservations center.

10. John P

John P New Member

Does it matter which foreign call center?

11. PhatMiles

PhatMiles Active Member

I am able to put 2 tix on hold on EY Biz. Looks like the glitch is resolved. This is at a US Call Center.

Tiffany likes this.
  12. Tiffany

Generally no, but I'll typically call those that speak English natively just to make my life easier.

13. David W

David W Well-Known Member

I was able to call a foreign call center and they confirmed the availability. I have one reservation on hold and another in the ticketing queue. Hopefully it doesnt take long to ticket. Hope everyone else gets their reservations as well!

14. Kathy

Kathy New Member

Just got off phone with AA and they still cannot see first class seats available on Etihad even though Etihad shows Guest First availability. Have never tried calling a foreign call center and a bit nervous about doing that.

15. Tiffany

Kathy, it's easy. Call Canada, the UK, Australia, etc. :)

Mimi and John P like this.
  16. John P

John P New Member

I called Australia and was able to confirm 2 flights in First without any issues. This was just after getting off the phone with EXP Desk who could see no availability. Thanks for the help!

17. Kathy

Kathy New Member

Thanks Tiffany and John. John are you in the US? What was the number you called in Australia and do you know if there was a charge for the call?

18. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

19. John P

John P New Member

Kathy
    I'm am US-based. I used Skype app on my phone, bought $4.99 of credit through the app. My call to AUS took 12 minutes, total cost $0.35. Never used Skype before, but it was super easy. I'm sure you could just as easily call CAN or UK. Good luck!

Tiffany likes this.
  20. Kathy

Kathy New Member

Thank you Gaurav and John. I've never used Skype before but will give it a try! CAN appears to share the US call center. But first a few more calls to the US call center - before they start blocking my calls! I'm pretty new at this. Have booked business class seats on a variety of Star Alliance airlines using US Airlines miles in the past but have never run into these complications.