ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Award Redemption CONSOLIDATED: Questions on booking Etihad First and Business with AA miles

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Kathy, Nov 18, 2015.

1. David W

David W Well-Known Member

Are you calling the US call center? Have you tried an international call center? I've always had luck with the Australian center. Google Voice/Hangouts can call internationally at pretty low rates.

2. MarkS

MarkS Active Member

Call the AA Australia office. They should see it. Use skype for inexpensive call.

3. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

Hi Mike, are you calling the Australian center or the US?

4. MikeB

MikeB New Member

Yes - I was calling the US. Completely forgot about calling Australia, which I did for some flights last flights last year - thanks for the reminder!

Also, I realized that now if there are no guest seats on any flights on a particular day, instead of showing "sold out", then entire guest seat column disappears, which then makes it seem like there is more availability (but really only in the "open seats" category, which becomes the far left column. Should be obvious, but when scanning through a bunch of days it's easy to think those are guest seats.

Tiffany likes this.
  5. MikeB

MikeB New Member

thank you!
    thank you!

6. MikeB

MikeB New Member

US - totally forgot about Australia option. thanks!

7. Jenny C

Jenny C New Member

Hello everyone,

I am trying to book a flight from MLE to JFK using my AA miles w/Etihad The award space shows up on Etihad for business class under "Guest Seat" but when I called Australia and USA several times, they were not able to see the award space.

Any advice?

UPDATE: I checked for the flights on separate segments and it seemed like there was no award space for the 1st segment of the trip. So with economy in mind for the 1st segment and business for 2nd segment, I called one last time and the award space was available for business on both segments.

It was a lovely surprise. I called about 8 times over the course of 5 hours (only once to USA). I used Skype.

Really excited for my trip!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  8. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

No secret that I'm aware of other than keep trying unfortunately (just Australia, the US hasn't had any luck in a while).

Jenny C likes this.
  9. Tiffany

Tiffany One Mile At A Time

Hi @Jenny C, and welcome!

Make sure you're searching MLE>AUH and AUH>JFK separately. Sometimes Etihad will show a false positive otherwise.

Jenny C and Gaurav like this.
  10. Bethany

Bethany New Member

Can you book an etihad award with mixed cabins? I am looking to Kathmandu to New York via Abu Dhabi. Kathmandu to Abu Dhabi does not offer a first class cabin. If I call AA can I feed them the business class Kathmandu to Abu Dhabi segment and the first class Abu Dhabi to New York and get it books?

11. MikeB

MikeB New Member

Yes. The award will be at the higher (First Class) level since there will be at least one F segment.

Tiffany likes this.
  12. Tobias

Tobias New Member

Is it possible to drop segments on EY Awards?

Currently i have AUH-ZRH (EY)-TXL-MUC (AB) booked but think about staying in ZRH for a few days. On AA / Oneworld awards you're able to drop legs as long as the destination zone stays the same.

Thanks!

13. David W

I'd call and ask but usually I think it'll carry a few since it's changing the destination. Though if you're not planning to fly the last 2 legs at all and you don't have checked bags, just skip the last 2 legs.

14. Does anyone have experience using AAMiles to book EY/QF from DXB/AUH to India?

15. David W

No but are you running into trouble? Generally for EY, you have to call a non-US call center to get the seats. I call the Australian call center and I've never run into problems.

16. Vinh

Vinh New Member

Currently booked on EY using AA miles for the following route:

DEL-AUH A330 with 2 class service (economy)
    AUH-LAX 77L with 3 class service (business)

If business class seats open on the DEL-AUH, is there a fee to change from economy to business? I have no status with AA. And I assume it would be best to call Australia call center to make the change.

EDIT: Thanks MidSouth for your answer. It looks like Etihad likes to open up seats close to departure date, so whatever changes I make will most likely fall within 7 days of departure. Hoping to find out the answer if close-in fees applies to changes. Thank you

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  17. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

Welcome @Vinh - since you're using AA miles there should not be a fee to change if business class opens up on the first leg. Your origin and destination are staying the same and when those change, that's what incurs the fee. I know AA has a close-in ticketing fee but *think* that only applies to new bookings, not to changes but perhaps someone else can confirm.

If you do find space I'd certainly try the US call center first and call Australia only if they can't see it.

18. JRV1

JRV1 New Member

Does anyone know what the approximate taxes and fees on AA award for RT JFK-MLE in the apartments? We were lucky enough to snag 2 seats in February of 2016 from JFK -AUH and paid a little over $48 pp RT, but looking at Etihad awards/ miles now it is significantly higher at around $800 JFK to AUH . And looking by segments when I add in the MLE leg on both parts it jumps to 2K!! Hoping it is a lot cheaper with AA awards.

19. David W

@JRV1 Where are you seeing the $800 and $2k+ rates? And do you mean Feb 2018?

You need to use Etihad's website to check for award space but what AA charges is different from what Etihad charges for the same award.

20. JRV1

JRV1 New Member

Hi David,
    Thanks for the reply, yes I am looking for February 2018 from JFK to MLE, I was using the flight that we had taken in 2016 as a reference for what we had paid at that time, sorry for the confusion.
    I am using the Etihad site and they are quoting $820 for the JFK to AUH segment for 2 people and then $1165 more when I add add in the MLE segments. I know what AA charges is different then what Etihad does but when i booked the flight in 2016 there was not that big a discrepancy between the 2.