ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Credit Cards Earning Alaska Miles with Card Bonuses

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Jordan Parker, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Jordan Parker

Jordan Parker Member

Hi Ben,

I want to earn 100,000 Alaska miles to fly Emirates first class. What different credit cards can I sign up for to earn 100,000 Alaska miles without flying? Is this even a possibility?

BTW: Im working with your PointsPros staff right now on a trip and they are WONDERFUL. I am so impressed with the work they are doing and how helpful they are.

Thanks,
    Jordan

2. No Name

No Name Well-Known Member

@Jordan Parker

To get you started sign up for the Alaska Airlines Visa in both private and business version.
    http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/best-current-credit-card-offers/airline-credit-cards/
    If you can get both that is 50K points after first purchase.

Then get the Starwood Preferred Guest Amex in private and business version.
    http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/best-current-credit-card-offers/hotel-credit-cards/
    Will earn 50K Starpoints after meeting minimum spend of $8K that can be transferred to Alaska points.

Tiffany likes this.
  3. Jordan Parker

Jordan Parker Member

Thank you for your response!!
    Is it possible to cancel and reapply for the Alaskan Visa cards and get the rewards again? Or can you only receive the bonus once?

4. No Name

5. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

@Jordan Parker, yes it is but don't go overboard. Two a year is what I would do. You don't need to cancel the first to get the second but I'd cancel them on annual basis before you have to pay the second year AF.

No Name likes this.
  6. Jordan Parker

Jordan Parker Member

If you signed up for both cards as you suggested... could you cancel both and re apply for both in a short period of time? Therefore earning 100k miles?

7. No Name

8. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

Yes but I wouldn't cancel until the next year's annual fee is due. Banks typically don't like it if you apply, earn the bonus and then cancel right away.

No Name likes this.
  9. Jordan Parker

Jordan Parker Member

I would like 100k miles to use this summer for a FC ticket. Could I apply for both Alaska personal and business then cancel and reapply for a second time a few weeks later?

10. Jordan Parker

Jordan Parker Member

I
    Is that two times per card for a total of 100k miles?

11. Jordan Parker

Jordan Parker Member

Don't you have to pay the fee on sign up though?

12. No Name

That is highly likely to get you shut down.

Yes if you get approved for both types of cards.

Tiffany likes this.
  13. No Name

@Jordan Parker

One thing that might work is applying for multiple business card if you have more than one company, you might get a bank to consider this if you say that you want to keep expenses separate.

I have not tried this so no guaranty, you would probably have to speak with the bank either in person or on the phone.

Have you considered buying the extra 50K miles from Alaska if you need it for this summer? They are on sale at the moment
    https://t.co/ICX1zQu4PG

Miles and points are a long distance sport, not a sprint. Be careful so you don't burn out early (aka get banned by the banks).

Gaurav, Tiffany and MidSouth Skier like this.
  14. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

Yes but there are versions floating around that offer a rebate that covers the AF with $1k spend.

15. Jordan Parker

Jordan Parker Member

Its not the fee that the problem its just that if you payed it on sign up why would they be mad if you cancelled it before the second fee seeing as you already payed them.

16. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

What are the MS opportunities in your area? You could try to generate it via spend on the SPG cards at 1.25miles per $.

17. Jordan Parker

Jordan Parker Member

Yes, I did look into it but I don't know that I am ready to spend that money. It is probably better that I use my Delta miles this summer and earn Alaska miles for a Emirates FC ticket for next summer. That way I hopefully don't have any issues with cancelling and reapplying.

18. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

Because just like you wouldn't be interested in people who only sign up for your product only for the sign up bonus, neither are they... It is what it is.

Tiffany likes this.
  19. Jordan Parker

Jordan Parker Member

I
    Is it worth taking a risk and signing up a total of four times(two on each card) over the next month?

20. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

@Jordan Parker the point of MS is that you are not actually "spending" the money. You might be paying a very small percentage to generate points. It's fine if you don't want to do it, just pointing this out.