ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Award Redemption Emirates 24-hour hold on Skypass First redemption?

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Louise, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Louise

Louise New Member

Last year at this time I booked an Emirates First award using partner Korean Air miles LAX-DXB-LAX and was given about a month to ticket it. Went off without a hitch.

Two days ago I booked the same reservation with Korean's Skypass department and was told I had until 5pm on Nov 8 to ticket it. I emailed my documentation to Skypass and also received a booking confirmation from Emirates, and was waiting until closer to Nov 8 to transfer the miles and pay the $1500 in fees.

However, I called Skypass today to check on changing one of the dates, and was told by the Skypass agent that Emirates had cancelled my ticket, and that my seats were no longer available in the system. I was put on hold a long time while they spoke with Emirates. Skypass was told by Emirates that it has a 24-hour hold policy on First Class reservations due to high demand, and my reservation was cancelled when I didn't ticket it within the 24 hours. A Skypass supervisor called Emirates back and explained that the deadline date of Nov 8 is what was given to the Skypass agents by Emirates via the computer when the reservation was initially made, so Emirates should give me my seats back. Emirates said it would try contacting its headquarters to see if the seats can be retrieved since it was Emirates that supplied the initial Nov. 8 date, and will get back to Skypass within 24-48 hours. I hope they do the right thing and get me those seats back.

According to the Skypass supervisor, Skypass agents will now be advising Emirates First class award passengers of the new 24-hr policy.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? Do I have any recourse with Emirates?
    I

2. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

Not really unfortunately. Always a frustrating situation when this happens between partners but KAL has no way to force Emirates to release seats. Hopefully they will do the right thing.

3. Louise

Louise New Member

Thank you - Emirates did do the right thing and reinstated my seats - apparently Emirates (incorrectly) viewed my ticket as a revenue ticket somehow, and hence the 24-hr cancellation policy invoked. The new reservation shows a Nov cancel date, so hoping it doesn't cancel again. The Skypass supervisor was extremely helpful.

MidSouth Skier and Gaurav like this.