ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Credit Cards EVA Air Strategy Help Needed

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by ouboubber, Jul 13, 2015.

1. ouboubber

ouboubber New Member

First, of all, great website and forum. Lots of great information. I am completely new to this game of collecting travel points. Any advice would appreciated.

I live in the U.S., but we have family in Taiwan, so we mostly fly EVA Air. I wanted to start collecting travel rewards points (is this the correct term? or should I be saying "miles" instead?) to help us each time we buy or upgrade EVA tickets.

First, for clarity, here are the classes that EVA offers (as far a I understand):
    –Elite (Premium Economy)
    –Premium Laurel (Business)
    –Royal Laurel (Premium Business)

My possible desired objectives are as follows (I know I list many possibilities here – I don’t know if some require completely different strategies – please advise):
    –Redeem miles for Elite ticket
    –Redeem miles to upgrade from Economy to Elite
    –Redeem miles for Premium Laurel ticket
    –Redeem miles to upgrade from Economy to Premium Laurel
    –Redeem miles for Royal Laurel ticket
    –Redeem miles to upgrade from Economy to Royal Laurel

I already got approved for a Chase Sapphire card because I read so many good things about it on this site and others. But, now as I read more, I am not sure if Chase Sapphire is the right choice for me. Maybe I should have applied for Citi Thank You? I would like to only use one credit card if possible because I just don’t like keeping track of so many accounts. Also, when it comes to travel rewards points redemption, I would like to be able to do it online if possible. I have read some stories on the internet where it sounds like EVA requires you to call them by phone in order to do things like apply your travel rewards points get an upgrade or purchase a ticket. I hope that is not true.

Which card(s) would best allow me to accomplish some of the possible objectives? Which strategies? If I just keep using only my Chase Sapphire card, is this foolish? If this question is too complicated to answer, can you give me some links to help me come up with the best strategy? I am completely confused here. HELP!

2. Wesley C

Wesley C Member

Hello! I am on the same boat with you coming back and forth between Taiwan and US. But in your case being a EVA frequent traveler AND based in Us, I would suggest to put your EVA miles to UA or Aeroplan (depending on what type of ticket you have to credit the miles). The reason is EVA has a pretty not so good award chart for peeps like us based in US going back to Taiwan.

Saaphire has United/Korean Air as ones of many transfer partners. both have 80k OW first class award option, which is super sweet. (Korean Air A380 + United's Star Alliance partners)

Side note: usually if I have a paid flight ticket with China Airlines, I normally put those miles into Korean Air.

Hope that helps! :)

ouboubber likes this.
  3. ouboubber

ouboubber New Member

Wesley C,

Wow, thanks so much for the response. Your advice is very much appreciated.

I don't want to sound too ignorant, but I am a complete beginner when it comes to this. But, in terms of what you mentioned about putting my miles into UA, do you mean that I should apply my miles to an United Airlines' MileagePlus account?

If that is correct, then when I want to upgrade an existing EVA ticket using miles - or buy an EVA ticket using miles - I would log into UA MileagePlus site and upgrade or buy my EVA ticket there? If that is correct, then my question is, if I use the UA MileagePlus site to buy an EVA ticket - are the prices for EVA tickets on the UA MileagePlus site the same as the prices list on the EVA site? Or are EVA tickets bought using the UA MileagePlus site more expensive than prices found on the EVA site?

I ask this question because I logged into my Chase Travel Rewards account and used the Chase Travel Rewards site to look up some sample EVA ticket prices and found their prices to be much higher than prices I found on EVA's own website.

I hope I am not being too confusing with my question. I just don't have any experience with this yet, so just want to make sure I am proceeding in the right direction. Thanks a ton in advance.

4. Wesley C

Wesley C Member

ouboubber,

I would suggest to open an UA account to 1) search for award space 2) accumulate your UA miles. One tricky thing is that you want to make sure which type of class are you on. Typically if you have steep discount flight (i.e. student universe), you most likely might get 0-50% of the mile flown. If you book through UA website then your flight will be under your UA account. Below is the EVA air ticket to credit on UA.
    upload_2015-7-20_11-50-15.png

One thing I think UA fits in your case (or mine sometimes) is that you have Chase Saaphire which can transfer to UA. [if you have lots of UR points, you can also transfer to Korean Air (KE) or Singapore Airlines (SQ) for its amazing first class products] Lucky has some amazing reviews and tricks on SQ first and business class, and as for Korean air, I just know this number-80K first class from USA to Taiwan one way :)

If you upgrade an EVA ticket with EVA miles, the flight can only be counted toward EVA flyer program. So unless you have lots of EVA miles to burn, I would rather pay a flight ticket and credit to UA. Until I have enough UA miles, I can either book an UA flight or partner flight to Taiwan. Below is the UA award chart and its partner one.
    upload_2015-7-20_11-56-58.png
    Taiwan is in the highlighted region if you book with UA flight

upload_2015-7-20_11-58-24.png
    Taiwan is in the highlighted region if you book with any Star Alliance Flight

Typically I would just book the cheapest one either with airline website or the chase one. I personally think using miles to upgrade is less fun then booking an award ticket, since you can play with the routing rules. ker ker. (<-hope you get that term haha)

Tiffany and ouboubber like this.
  5. ouboubber

ouboubber New Member

Wesley C,

You are a gentleman and a scholar! Thanks a lot for all the advice.

Not to sound dumb or anything, but just want to clarify one thing. In the end, when you say:

"...Typically I would just book the cheapest one either with airline website or the chase one..."

Do you mean:

1.) "...Typically I would just book the cheapest one either with the United Airlines MileagePlus site or the Chase Ultimate Rewards site..."

OR

2.) "...Typically I would just book the cheapest one either with the EVA Air site or the Chase Ultimate Rewards site..."

?

Thanks in advance - and no, don't what ker ker means either - haha. I Googled it, but my Google Fu came up inconclusive.

6. Wesley C

Wesley C Member

haha, you're too kind. I apologize for the confusion but what I meant was

1.) "...Typically I would just book the cheapest one either with the United Airlines MileagePlus site or the Chase Ultimate Rewards site..."

ouboubber likes this.
  7. ouboubber

ouboubber New Member

OK - great. I understand now. Thanks for all the help!