ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Inflight Experience / Seating Flying NYC-JFK The Long Way: EK vs CX vs SQ

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by 7DrG14, Sep 1, 2015.

1. No Name

No Name Well-Known Member

Would not AKL be the same as SYD, no CX F only J?

2. No Name

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  3. No Name

Lucky has written a number of reviews on Qatar and the Korean carriers, might be a good place to start?

Qatar only fly to MEL and PER in Aus and don't have F on those flights. Would rate Qatar behind EY or EK when it comes to top products, but it depends what plane you are on. EY and EK have some older configured planes also, not just their top product on the A380's same as Qatar.

Biggest bonus with Qatar is that they are in Oneworld giving you miles for status in any Oneworld program.

Assuming you are planing to spend some time on the ground DXB or AUH is much better then DOH.

Keep in mind that AUS is just 24 million people, not all airlines that fly there provide F service.

4. 7DrG14

7DrG14 New Member

What would be a good route to include SQ and EK and possibly CX. Those are my fav carriers. And I'm certain I want to route through Aus.

5. No Name

CX JFK-HKG SQ HKG-SIN-SYD EK SYD-DXB-LHR

Optionally do EK SYD-AKL R/T and EY SYD-AUH-LHR

EK and EY is about the same cost on the SYD-LHR run

Or do Qantas SYD-MEL-SIN with MEL-SIN by EK on a B777. Then EY SIN-AUH-LHR or EK SYD-DXB-LHR. From around 8K USD with EY or 9K USD with EK on the LHR flight.

I assume you have read Lucky's EY A380 review from earlier this year?
    http://onemileatatime.boardingarea....rst-class-apartment-a380-abu-dhabi-to-london/

6. No Name

Without CX you would take Qantas JFK-LAX-SYD with JFK-LAX on AA, Then SQ SYD-SIN and finally EK SIN-DXB-LHR.

Probably about 20K USD all in.

What are you planning to fly on your way to Canada? EK again?

7. 7DrG14

7DrG14 New Member

I have and it was eye opening. I haven't considered EY much as I was an EK flier. But the first routing was pretty nice. But is the SQ SIN to SYD segment on the A380

8. 7DrG14

7DrG14 New Member

I'm heading to YVR so I'm considering EK to HKG. Then HKG to YVR

9. No Name

SQ HKG-SIN-SYD is possible with both A380 on both segments or A380 on just SIN-SYD depending on timing.

10. 7DrG14

7DrG14 New Member

That's great. I know this is crazy but I think I have enough miles for several round trip EK flights so I want to do a long haul EK. But do you think there's a way to do this route on SQ, EK, CX and EY? I know it's a stretch but I'm up for it.

11. No Name

Why not do EY LHR-AUH-SIN CX SIN-BKK-HKG-YVR on the way to Canada then?

EY LHR-AUH on the A380, AUH-SIN B787
    CX SIN-BKK-HKG A330-300 Regional J, HKG-YVR on the B777

EY LHR-SIN about the same cost as EK LHR-HKG, CX SIN-BKK-HKG-YVR 500-1000USD more than CX HKG-YVR .

12. No Name

What route? HKG-SIN-SYD?

So you have EK miles and want to use them for a long haul EK flight instead of a paid fare?

13. 7DrG14

7DrG14 New Member

Any route going to LHR. I have enough miles for EK and on SQ I have enough chase rewards points to transfer.

14. No Name

If you can find award availability and have the points in their frequent flyer program or can transfer them in then sure you can fly SQ SYD-SIN-LHR or EK SYD-DXB-LHR.

Or any route SQ and EK operates for that matter.

You simply did not mention having these points when I asked earlier

15. 7DrG14

7DrG14 New Member

Sorry I forgot to mention it. The route I'm now considering based on your suggestions is JFK-HKG CX then HKG-SIN-SYD on SQ then SYD to AKL via BNE &DXB then SYD to LHR EY. Since I have Alaska MP I can earn miles on most of the routes I'm paying for, sans the EY flight, right or is there a better route

16. No Name

You can bank the EY miles with AA?

SYD to AKL via BNE &DXB. Do you mean the EK SYD-AKL R/T flight or have I missed something?

17. 7DrG14

7DrG14 New Member

No I meant going from SYD-DXB then DXB to BNE onwards to AKL

18. No Name

Sure that will work if you can find award space both ways, since award space to Aus can be hard to find especially in high season.

Or are you planning to take a paid fare?

Think that routing might be a bit too much time up in air for my taste, but if it works for you.

19. 7DrG14

7DrG14 New Member

I probably will pay for that route but I do plan on staying on land for a few days in SYD and Dubai. I haven't done it myself but is it true that emirates allows you to do a stopover in Dubai. Is it complementary for first class passengers

20. No Name

Are you talking about this program? Don't think it's active anymore.
    http://www.ausbt.com.au/emirates-offers-economy-business-class-travellers-free-stopovers-in-dubai

Plus you would not be having a stop over, but having DXB as your destination and would not have been able to use this offer anyway.

What they have these days is this program, but that is just a discounted travel package at best.
    http://www.emirates.com/us/english/destinations_offers/dubai_stopovers/dubai-stopovers.aspx
    Does give you meet and assist service at DXB and transfers and 24H hotel check in..
    http://www.emirates.com/us/english/...stopovers/experience-dubai-as-a-stopover.aspx
    Flying paid F you would have free transfers and possibly meet and assist service at DXB already.

Or are you thinking about Dubai connect?
    http://www.emirates.com/english/plan_book/essential_information/dubai-connect/dubai-connect.aspx

EY does still offer a free 2 night stay in AUH for F passengers, you could use that on your SYD-AUH-LHR flight.
    http://www.etihad.com/en/plan-and-book/book-stopovers/premium-stopovers/