ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Getting the most rewards from my spending.

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by BryanM, Jan 3, 2018.

1. BryanM

BryanM New Member

Hi guys, I’m just starting to wrap my head around all the ways you can maximize your rewards through spending and I’m Just looking for a little advice. I own two business and spend around 750k annually with split between two credit cards. I have a Capital One Spark (2pts/dollar) and and AMEX business platinum. What’s the best way to stretch the points I earn? Open several more cards? Stick to one card affiliated with an airline? My wife and I are just now getting enough down time to travel and figured I’d reach out. Thanks

2. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

Welcome @BryanM - I'd think you might want to diversify your points a little so they can be used for different things.

I believe the Capital One card will give you a fixed value when redeeming so that's fine for economy travel or when award space is not available.

If you're wanting to fly internationally in premium cabins you'll get more bang for your buck using the Membership Rewards (MRs) earned by your Amex card where you can transfer the points to any one of a number of airlines.

If you spend a fair amount on office supplies (or at stores coded as office supplies) you can earn 5 Ultimate Rewards points per dollar (up to $50K in purchases) if you get one of the Chase Ink cards. You can also get 5x points on your telecom services. URs have some of the same transfer partners as MRs but also some that are different.

If you can give us an idea on the types of expenses your businesses have and your travel goals perhaps we can make more specific recommendations.

Gaurav and No Name like this.
  3. BryanM

BryanM New Member

Thanks for the reply.

I'd say 90% of my spending is for inventory, the rest is split between supplies and insurance policies.

I prefer to fly business internationally so that is a goal of mine to leverage the points to use towards premium travel.

4. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

So it sounds like most of your expenses will only earn you 1.5 points per dollar except on your CapOne card but that won't be as helpful as getting you to your goal. As you know, your Platinum card is a charge card which does not have a credit limit. You might also apply for the Blue Business Plus card from Amex which has no annual fee but earns two MR points per dollar for all purchases. I wouldn't cancel your Platinum card as it has other travel benefits but just transfer some of your spend. I would also consider the SPG Business Amex as you could put enough spend on it to earn platinum status with SPG/Marriott and SPG points are great not only for stays at their hotels but can also be transferred to a huge number of airlines.

So if you're up for a few cards, I'd recommend the Chase Ink Preferred, the SPG Amex and the Blue Business Preferred. Lucky doesn't have a referral link for the Ink Preferred but he does for the other two. See the Credit Cards tab above.

And please let us know if you have further questions.