ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Elite Status GOL Status Reciprocation?

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by abhinav, Dec 29, 2017.

1. abhinav

abhinav New Member

Hey lucky!

I'm breaking up with Delta in 2018, but would like somewhere to credit delta flights. I don't care about redeemable miles so much - more about status benefits. I'm trying to decide between seeking status on Gol versus AF/KLM and was wondering; is there a list anywhere of airlines that offer reciprocal status benefits with Gol? AF/KLM was rather easy to find but I'm having a difficult time with Gol....any odds you can help?

Thanks!

--abhinav

2. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

@abhinav, welcome. What airline will you be flying the most?

3. abhinav

abhinav New Member

I fly mostly Skyteam and Southwest - rarely do I fly Star Alliance or Oneworld on revenue tickets. My award tickets are an even mix between Alaska Mileage Plan, United Ultimate Rewards, and Delta Skymiles. Does that help?

Thanks!

4. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

Well, usually status helps most with the airline it's for so I would aim for getting it on the airline that fly on the most.

5. abhinav

abhinav New Member

Yes, thanks! What I'm more curious about is which (Gol, or Air France / KLM) has status with reciprocal benefits on the most airlines, since I will NOT be attaining status on the airline I fly most (Delta).

6. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

7. abhinav

abhinav New Member

Sure, that's what I was thinking too. But, to get back to the original question - do you know what other airlines have reciprocal status benefits with Gol? Like you pointed out, Flying Blue is fairly easy, but Gol is more difficult to find.

8. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

GOL isn't even a member of a global alliance, they consider themselves a low-cost airline that prides themselves on focusing on domestic flights within Brazil. Unless you're flying Delta regularly to South America, and then connecting to domestic flights, you won't see much tangible benefit.

According to their website, GOL's Smiles program partners with Delta, AirFrance/KLM, Iberia and Qatar. You mention you rarely fly OneWorld, so their relationship with Iberia and Qatar is probably worthless to you. That leaves Delta and AirFrance/KLM... which gets back to Guarav's recommendation of sticking with FlyingBlue.

In my opinion, I think going with GOL would be a mistake. Earning top-tier elite status with them seems relatively easy (35,000 miles in a 12 month period), but there really are no reciprocal benefits to speak of

9. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

When airlines don't publicize benefits, usually it means they don't exist. At the upper level I would doubt that any airlines beyond their codeshare list have reciprocal agreements and more realistically it's likely a subset of that group.

10. abhinav

abhinav New Member

Thank you!

11. abhinav

abhinav New Member

Thank you Gaurav!