ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Elite Status How much is Etihad Elite Status Worth?

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Kelly80, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Kelly80

Kelly80 Reader

Hi Ben / Everyone,

I was looking for a complete guide on Etihad but couldn't find... According to your knowledge what would you evaluate Etihad Elite Status at? For all levels Silver, Gold and Platinum.

I was thinking value in dollars like $500, $1000 etc.

Thank you

2. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

I don't know that I've ever seen a dollar value placed on elite status. Its value comes from how often you can take advantage of its benefits. Could you tell us a little more about why you're trying to value it or maybe in comparison to other elite statuses just so we can try to have a better answer?

3. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

I was Etihad Gold for 1 year, but only flew Etihad once with the status.

The flight was ultra long-haul in Economy round-trip Chicago to Abu Dhabi. Having Gold status was great for the lounge access, but that's mostly negated if you have a Priority Pass membership and/or are flying in a premium cabin. We got extra attention onboard due to the status, the lead flight attendant came by and introduced herself and told me to ask for her if we needed anything. Didn't ask for much, but she did give us two large bottles of water for ourselves, which was really great for a 14hour flight in the back of the plane.

As with all airlines these days, the value of status really depends on your travel patterns. If you're flying in First/Business often, you probably won't see much tangible benefit. Lounge access, attention on-board, fast-track immigration, etc would all be covered.

The one thing that is easy to put a value to is the bonus miles you earn. That flight to and from Chicago earned me almost 20,000 miles, while my friend with no status, she earned less than 5,000. So that can really add up.

Hope that helps!

No Name likes this.
  4. KellyK

KellyK New Member

@MidSouth Skier

If you google for example "What is American Airlines Elite Status Worth" you will find some blogs putting a dollar value on each level based on their evaluation of perks and other things included... Let's I travel a lot on different airlines and would like to know what the perks they are giving is worth in the eyes of an expert frequent flyer in comparison to others.

Thank you

5. KellyK

KellyK New Member

@rickyw yes it helps but I still would like an approx evaluation of everything...

This should actually be a title to write about... Hint @Lucky

6. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

Lucky can certainly correct me if this is wrong.... but I feel like his focus for blog posts is first hand experience, not anecdotal collected from others. Since him and Tiffany don't hold any of those statuses themselves (as far as I know), I think they'd have a hard time writing that post.

Do you follow any of the other BoardingArea blogs? I'm sure someone is ME-based and might be better suited to this.

Sorry to deflect your question.... I think it's a great idea just not sure the crew here is equipped to answer

7. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

@KellyK - did the search as you suggested and I see where TPG has come up with numbers for the 6 major American carriers but not for foreign airlines. As Ricky says, so much of the value depends on your travel patterns and this blog is targeted to US flyers and most US flyers are not going to find value in status on foreign carriers.

That being said, it's @Lucky's blog and he can pick his topics!

No Name and Gaurav like this.
  8. KellyK

KellyK New Member

@rickyw Thanks for your answer... I don't follow anyone I just read between now and then what i need or look it up... plus it's not just experiences they have news and updates about programs among other things in this blog.

@MidSouth Skier Think a little bigger, for a frequent flyer borders don't really exist if someone travels 100k+ internationally every year then they would find value in all major airlines and the 3 alliances. I am personally not based in US still I found value in being an Exec Plt with AA and Plt with Etihad each had something to offer.

My question was based on my evaluation to statuses and what would serve me best and the value of it for 2018/19 for myself and companions.

9. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

@KellyK, the crucial part that you seem to be overlooking here even though you mention it is how would this status serve and benefit ME best. That is a very individual question (how many awards do you think you'll need to cancel? how many times will you take advantage of sdc? how often do you think you'll get an upgrade? how much do you value expedited phone access?) Anyone can throw together an arbitrary list like the TPG post you mention but you really need to do the work to see how much it will be worth to you.

MidSouth Skier and No Name like this.
  10. No Name

No Name Well-Known Member

@KellyK

Borders may or may not exist, but if a status is useful for you depends heavily on your travel pattern as the other here have tried to point out to you..

Exec Plt with AA is useful most places in the world as that means status in Oneworld, status with Etihad is different since they are not member of an alliance and only real useful if you fly often on a route they serve.

Oneworld top status is also unique due to the fact that it offers F lounge access to all flyers with top status, something that *A and Skyteam don't offer. So even when flying in premium cabins other than F you still get more benefits from just having status.

Just to give an example, somebody based in Europe with mostly taking flights to North and South America, than Etihad status is useless. Same goes for somebody in South America mostly taking flights to North America and Europe.

For somebody in the US that mostly travels to Japan, South Korea or eastern China it mostly useless, ditto if flights take you to Oceania.

If you are based in Europe and fly a lot to Asia, Australia/New Zealand or parts of Africa than Etihad status can make sense, especially if not flying in premium cabins.

Same for the US to the ME, Indian sub continent and Africa.

While your travel pattern might take you all over the world, that is not true for every other traveler.

MidSouth Skier, KellyK and rickyw like this.
  11. KellyK

KellyK New Member

@No Name and @Gaurav I totally agree and I understand that it all depends.

Yet... still the point is not that exactly, patterns are not as straightforward as it may appear. Let's say I'm in China for business took a flight from there to LAX, from there went to AUH then jumped to another and another etc... if there is no apparent pattern and you go where you need to be then it all depends even more.

I'm not saying I totally agree with TPG analysis nor it's the best way to put value to a status but it just gives an idea from a good source evaluating a product/service.

@Lucky I was looking for an idea of what Etihad status means to most travellers that use it. Maybe inspire an article talking about details in utilizing that status I may have missed like most tips, tricks and travel hacks talked about with AA and OW.