ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Award Redemption Is Alaska blocking... Alaska Awards??

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Andreas Lorenz, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Looking for JAL First Class Awards (with AlaskaMiles) I noticed the following:
    It seems that connecting flights with Alaska Air First are blocked, only MainCabin is bookable. For example NRT-SFO (via LAX). The section LAX-SFO is only available as MainCabin, but if I am looking for it without the main flight NRT-LAX. I find enough free F Awards on LAX-SFO.
    The same applies to other routes. With 8 routes found there was no F availability on the Alaska section, but if you look for the section individually, availability can be found. But as part of the overall route unfortunately not bookable.

So... does Alaska F block awards with Alaska when Mainleg is flown with another airline? How can i book the Alaska leg in F?

(I am looking for August/Sept/Oct2018)

2. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

Andreas, did you try calling AS to see if an agent can book it for you?

3. David W

David W Well-Known Member

I could be wrong, but maybe its not AS saver space that youre seeing? That would make it unavailable to pair with an award flight on a partner airline.

4. Michael M

Michael M New Member

5. Michael M

Michael M New Member

I had the same thing happen on a recent Alaska Airlines international award First class booking on Emirates and Alaska. The booking agent said that if/when saver space does become available for the Main cabin domestic leg, the leg will automatically be switched to First class, and that priority would be given over elites (Gold 75K's, etc.) who are simply buying completely domestic tickets hoping to get upgraded for free.

6. AK54

AK54 New Member

I had a similar experience booking F class Emirates award tickets. I selected the Emirates tickets so far in advance that Alaska's schedule was not fully published yet. I kept trying (probably helped that I had Gold status) and was able to up grade and change some AS segments. Keep trying and be willing for AS agents to spend time talking with supervisors and you may get lucky.