ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Multiple passports

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Bill Connaughton, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Bill Connaughton

Bill Connaughton New Member

Hello everyone,

This perhaps is already asked, but I’m new to question section despite being a long time reader.

Similar to Ben, I have 2 passports (US and UK). I applied and gained UK citizenship through my father (who was born in Scotland) a couple of years ago when an opportunity arose to work in the EU. That never actually materialized. I know it’s sort of ironic right now given brexit. Anyways, I am going to Scotland next week and was told by my cousins that if you have an UK passport, you must enter the country with it. I entered with my US passport last year with no problems and immigration did not ask about my UK passport.

My question is 2 folds:

#1: Must you use the passport of the country you’re entering if you have it?

#2: Would you get extra screening and/or questions because you don’t actually “live” in the country? I guess as soon as I speak they would know since it is strange for a Brit to speak with an American accent.

Anyone with experience regarding this? Ben, care to comment? Appreciate it in advance.

2. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

I'm guessing each country has it's own laws regarding this. Usually the lines are faster for native passport holders so it might benefit you to use your UK passport. But as to whether you need to use it, you'd have to check the laws or consult a lawyer.

No Name likes this.
  3. Daniel B

Daniel B Active Member