ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

New to this game and have a few questions

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Newbian, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Newbian

Newbian New Member

2. Newbian

Newbian New Member

I have not been able to access Chase past their home page all day.........sheeeeesh

3. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

Correct--Alaska and American are partners. Which is why you can use Alaska miles to book awards on AA and AA miles to book awards on Alaska. However you cannot transfer miles between the two. You must have enough miles in either account to fully make the purchase..

Chase has been working for me. Are you following Ben's credit card links or going directly in your browser? Have you tried another browser?

4. Newbian

Newbian New Member

So I just looked at chase sapphire and I cannot transfer points to Alaska or AA, does that mean that I can use those points to purchase tickets on any airline directly?

5. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

You can use them to buy tickets directly through the Chase travel portal or you can transfer the points to a transfer partner like UA or SQ like I mentioned before and use the miles to book tickets.

6. Newbian

Newbian New Member

sweet, just got approved for the Chase Sapphire Preferred

MidSouth Skier likes this.
  7. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

@Newbian not that I don't want to encourage this new hobby for you, but please slow down do some more reading before applying for more cards. As anyone new to this hobby you'll find things confusing, encounter different perspectives, etc. Please take the time to develop a strong understanding of the value of different kinds of points and what will work best for you so that you are able to maximize your benefits.

PhatMiles and Tiffany like this.
  8. Newbian

Newbian New Member

Ok, I read the entire newcomers post and I want to get myself, my wife and my daughter back and forth from Denver to Hawaii........I got this new sapphire card and I plan to put Christmas on it as well as all my general expenditures to secure and build upon the 50,000 miles + 5000 for adding my wife as a user. I have the means to pay the card off prior to incurring any of the APR fees.

apparently, because I need specifics that include (Holiday travel) and the like, I need a card that is broad across all airlines (flexible points and cash back) as opposed to locking in to a card that is airline specific........at least that is what I was told.

my plan is not to go out and get every card on the planet, to the contrary......I hope to take advantage of my general expenditures and aid in offsetting what could be a very costly four years for our family.

Still wanting advice, and appreciate every bit of it.

So, based on my statement of intent, am I on the right path?

9. Newbian

Newbian New Member

I meant 50,000 points as opposed to miles

10. Tiffany

Tiffany One Mile At A Time

@Newbian -- You're on the right path! I'd probably also look at maybe the Citi Premier or Citi Prestige (depending on your other travel needs). You can transfer to airlines, or use those points towards the purchase of revenue flights, which will likely come in handy.

I think our general concern is that we have too many experiences of newbies who show up, read just enough to get themselves in trouble, and then have a half-dozen credit cards and no plan. So as long as you're taking it slow, and learning as you go, you should be fine. :)

Gaurav and Newbian like this.
  11. Newbian

Newbian New Member

I guess my user name set off all kinds of red flags..........thanks Tiffany, I will look in to those Citi cards as well. and thank you Gaurav and everyone else. I am certain that I will be back with another level of questions soon.

Tiffany likes this.
  12. BKT

BKT New Member

Also...Keep in mind that UR and TY points are transferable between spouses/domestic partners. Spouse = 2X the sign up bonus potential if you both get the cards. My wife and I put 150K Chase UR rewards points in the bank in 3 months with bonuses and targeted spend. It's an easy way to double up on points.