ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Hotels Points/Miles Hotels in Bangkok

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by laffingleigh, Jan 2, 2018.

1. laffingleigh

laffingleigh New Member

I have a newbie points/miles question.

I'm headed to Bangkok 1/23-1/28. I'm only now looking for hotels. I have points in IHG, Marriott, SPG, and Club Carlson. Using TPG's points valuations (https://thepointsguy.com/…/december-2017-monthly-valuations/), I have been unable to find ANY stays in Bangkok (nor Krabi nor Chiang Mai) that get me a good value. ALL redemptions are of lesser value than that page.

Are good redemptions hard to find and, because I've never looked before, I'm just now noticing?

Is it too close to the travel date and that's why?

I don't know what I don't know and would love some understanding.

2. David W

David W Well-Known Member

Good redemptions come and go - sometimes you'll find a great deal on points last minute, other times, you'll find them when booking in advance. BKK is a popular destination so having a tough time finding a decent redemption isnt all that surprising.

Have you looked into paid stays for the same period? It could be worth paying for a stay once you factor in the points you could be earning, especially if you have elite status. Or, if you have the Citi Prestige card, check out hotels that are eligible for the 4th night free benefit. Lastly, there's always the luxury hotel program that could get you benefits without needing elite status - Virtuoso, SPG Luxury Privileges , Amex FHR, etc.

Tiffany likes this.
  3. laffingleigh

laffingleigh New Member

Great words of wisdom. I'm trying to learn from you here. Seeing that they come and go, is there a trend? Is there a better time, or way, or location to find them?

I honestly didn't consider this. I live in NYC. I could understand how, for example, finding a good redemption in NYC might be hard. I don't know what I was expecting.

OMG question about these!! Am I crazy here? These seem to be SO EXPENSIVE!!! Like $2,000/night!!! Am I missing something on this? It seems to be that these deals are only for the superrich?

Thank you for your help!

4. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

What type of place are you looking for? Bangkok is known to be very affordable (it is the unofficial backpacker's capital of the world), so that's probably why the redemption value is so low. The programs you have points in have fixed rate redemptions, so the value proposition is never going to be that great if paid rates are low. The higher the cash rate, the better the redemption value (and vice versa)

Hope that makes sense!

Tiffany likes this.
  5. laffingleigh

laffingleigh New Member

It does make sense! Thank you!

What type of place am I looking for? Generally speaking, I want to have one of those "magical" redemptions. To me, a magical redemption is a fancy hotel I would normally never be able to afford, nor would I normally fork out the money for, but since I have the points, let's do it!! That's the situation I'd love.

6. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

Do you mind sharing how many points you have to work with (estimated)?

7. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

FHR can be expensive. I would think of it as a discount on an expensive hotel you were already going to stay at although there are occasional steals, especially at the low level. BKK is a pretty competitive hotel market. I would look at cash prices as previously mentioned. I found during my visit there that they were cheaper than using points.

8. laffingleigh

laffingleigh New Member

Club Carlson: 50k
    SPG: 60k
    Marriott: 100k
    IHG: 220k

9. laffingleigh

laffingleigh New Member

Man, no joke! I haven't found any "discount" prices to my taste, but I also haven't been looking at it as a discount on an expensive place. I was simply looking at it as EXPENSIVE.

10. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

Would you consider the JW Marriott upscale enough for what you're looking for?

You have more than enough points to stay at any of these properties. I'm not as familiar with IHG or Club Carlson, but with Marriott/SPG when you book 4 award nights, you get the 5th free.

upload_2018-1-3_8-29-59.png

If this is a special trip and you wanted to splurge and upgrade, you could book a suite at the JW for 220,000 points. You'd have to transfer your SPG points to Marriott (3 to 1 ratio)

upload_2018-1-3_8-30-56.png

Tiffany likes this.
  11. laffingleigh

laffingleigh New Member

I would consider JW Marriott a great redemption! I just don't want to utilize ALL of my points in that fashion. I've been convinced by my helpful online colleagues that the answer is to use it somewhere more expensive. FINE! ;)

rickyw likes this.