ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Credit Cards Should I get another Credit Card?

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Brodie Smith, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Brodie Smith

Brodie Smith New Member

I currently have Silver status with Delta, that is soon to be Gold. By the end of the year it will be Platinum...Why what were thinking?

2. Rob Potts

Rob Potts New Member

If I can hazard a guess, I think he's considering some of the Delta AMEX credit card options which, if you put on enough spend, will offer you MQMs toward upping your elite status.
    If you're concerned about the annual fee value, there is also a no annual fee version of the AMEX Everyday Preferred called the AMEX Everyday. This does not give you the gas bonus (but you have that covered with Chase), but it does still give you double points back on groceries up to $6k per year and a 20% point accrual bonus when you use the card 20 times or more in a month. I have this card for grocery spend rather than the Everyday Preferred because I don't find for my level of grocery spend that the additional points back justify the annual fee. The signup bonus is 10,000 MR points after $1,000 in spend over three months, as compared to 15,000 points for the Preferred. This card, of course, shares the advantage of getting you into the AMEX Membership Rewards program to supplement your Chase Ultimate Rewards. It could be worth investigating if you'd like to avoid the fee but still get a grocery bonus.
    If you were interested in both cards, you could apply for the SPG and Everyday cards on the same day using different browsers. I wouldn't do this if you don't think you would meet both signup bonus spend requirements though--it's a shame to miss out on those!

3. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

Well, it seems like the goal here isnt really to accrue DL miles as much as to get the best chances of an upgrade. I'm assuming your travel is for work and you can only buy economy tickets. If you only fly DL, maybe consider the Amex Delta Reserve card. Spending 60k will give you 30,000 mqm every year, pushing you to higher status, improving your chances of domestic upgrades, the card itself provides a tiebreaker advantage on the upgrade list and of you can make it to diamond you also get upgrade certificates that you can use to guarantee upgrades. The card is pricy at 450 though so you have to consider your choices.

4. PhatMiles

PhatMiles Active Member

@Brodie Smith :
    @Gaurav & @MidSouth Skier have given very good tips.
    From what I see you don't have any straight up awards you are eyeing on in the near future.
    If SPG/ EveryDay are not options, I would do something like this too:

1. Apply for the AA Exec card - 75K AA miles after 7.5K spend. The $450 annual fee sounds steep, but the 75K miles are sweet too. After one year downgrade that to the citi double cash card. Since the Double Cash doesn't have a sign up bonus and is a good CB card, it makes more sense to take this route. During this year the AA Exec card gets you to Admirals Club (in NYC, LAX) and a $100 Global Entry Credit.

2. There have been fresh posts on boardingarea about targeted offers from AA on Plat/BizGold cards for 100K and 75K. 100K for amex plat sounds great.

3. Diversify yourself and hit on some of the great Citi Products.

I can think of the most frequently suggested cards on boarding area lately. Again, needs drive the deeds.