ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Award Redemption Upgrade or awards to New Zealand? And a new question on fare class.

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Kiwi Ian, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

@Tiffany--I know earlier this year Asiana was not bookable online through UA. Has this been resolved?

@Kiwi Ian If you can't book online and have to call, don't forget to ask the agent to waive the phone fees because the award was not bookable online. I've had good luck with making a polite request.

2. Kiwi Ian

Kiwi Ian Member

Got it, thanks!

Re looking at other carriers, unfortunately I have no miles with American, so I'd have to buy a whole lotta miles!

3. Tiffany

Tiffany One Mile At A Time

Kiwi Ian likes this.
  4. Kiwi Ian

Kiwi Ian Member

@Tiffany yes, I got the email this morning! That's the winner, it'll cost less to buy the points than it would to have booked the round trip on economy!

I figure that this makes it a sure thing. I can buy the miles, book the Asiana flight that goes through Seoul, and even though it's a year ahead of time I'll have locked in the award redemption. If I find a better award seat later on then I can change for $75 per person.

Gaurav and Tiffany like this.
  5. Kiwi Ian

Kiwi Ian Member

Update - nuts! I can't figure how I missed this, but everything I'm seeing is mixed cabin...business from JFK-ICN, but economy from ICN-SYD. I just bought the miles thanks to United's discount offer, and now...stuck.

6. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

@Kiwi Ian you're searching segment by segment? Have you tired any other search tools other than United?

7. Kiwi Ian

Kiwi Ian Member

@Gaurav No, just using United's search tool. Are there others I could use?

I am trying to search segment by segment, but I honestly don't know which segments to pick to get to Sydney! All I've been checking is JFK, LAX, and SFO to Sydney. (My home airport is PHL.) And I'm kind of baffled on how I'd book multiple segments - probably have to resort to calling an agent if I could find something.

At this point I'm thinking I might book the flights that are available (JFK-ICN on business class and ICN-SYD on economy) and hope that sometime in the next 11 months I see a full business class award flight open up with three spots so that I can pay the change fee and grab it. Is that realistic?

8. Tiffany

@Kiwi Ian -- That is totally realistic, but let's see if we can do better. What dates are you looking at?

9. Kiwi Ian

Kiwi Ian Member

@Tiffany, I am looking at departing the Philadelphia/New York area on or after July 1st 2016.

10. Kiwi Ian

Kiwi Ian Member

I might be making process. I have made three reservations from IAD-NRT and HND-SYD, all in business class. Except...I couldn't make all three in the same lot, so I booked my wife and daughter first, no problem. Then mine, but mine says "This reservation is not ticketed. Pending confirmation from ANA All Nippon Airways". Hmm...I know if it doesn't work out I can cancel within 24 hours and no penalty. But I hope this comes through!!

If it doesn't work out, I'm all ears! And thanks again, so much, for all your patience and helpful responses - I owe you.

Gaurav likes this.
  11. Kiwi Ian

Kiwi Ian Member

I called United this morning and, no surprise, evidently the reason I couldn't make the booking for all three of us last night (and didn't get my confirmation when I did it separately) is that there was only award business space for two. So as it stands right now we are all on the same flight, my wife and daughter in business, and I'm confirmed in economy, keeping an eye out in case anything opens up.

Something I didn't realize is that I can't do a stopover on a one-way ticket. We were thinking it'd be nice to stay a night in Tokyo. Once the seats open up for our return dates, is there any way I can change our outgoing flights so we can stay the extra night in Tokyo?

Again, thanks so much to everyone for all your help and patience. I've learned a whole lot over the last several days!

12. Tiffany

@Kiwi Ian -- Correct, you can't book a stopover on a one-way, but you can change your existing itinerary to a roundtrip by paying the change fee and add in the stopover at that point. No issues there.

So, if you're within 24 hours of booking, and would feel more comfortable having everyone in business class on the longhaul flights, the following should be available if you call:

02 July: United 653 Philadelphia to San Francisco departing at 6:00AM and arriving at 8:58AM [Economy x3]
    02 July: United 893 San Francisco to Seoul departing at 10:50AM and arriving at 2:45PM (+1 day) [Business x3]
    03 July: Asiana 601 Seoul to Sydney departing at 20:20 and arriving at 08:20 (+1 day) [Business x3]

If you're outside of 24 hours, I wouldn't pay a change fee to switch to the above -- I would just wait until the schedule opens for the return and do it all at once.

13. Kiwi Ian

Kiwi Ian Member

Are those all available as Saver award flights? I see the exact flights you're referencing, but only available as Standard award flights. I'm looking on the United web site.

14. Tiffany

Grr, they all were a few hours ago!

So I would probably just wait until the return opens up, and change everything all at once.

Kiwi Ian likes this.
  15. Kiwi Ian

Kiwi Ian Member

@Tiffany I'm doing some preparation for booking our return flights and have a question about open-jaws. We are currently booked from IAD to SYD, and if we do a stopover in Tokyo then I believe I need to buy the tickets to Auckland separately (only one stopover, right?) Can I book the return flights back from Auckland to IAD and count that as an open-jaw (fly into Sydney, fly out of Auckland)?

16. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

@Kiwi Ian that is correct. You are allowed one stopover and the open jaw should be fine too.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
    Tiffany and Kiwi Ian like this.
  17. Kiwi Ian

Kiwi Ian Member

Thanks @Gaurav! I am just waiting for the award seat space to open up for the return flights and then I should be all set. We might or might not be able to find business class award seats if we do the stopover in Tokyo, but that's okay.

I have one other thought which might require a call to the United agents to answer. I'm booking four of the seats on my MileagePlus account and two of them on my wife's account. If the booking from US to New Zealand is made on one MileagePlus account and the return flight is made on a different MileagePlus account, can they still be combined into a round trip? I'm thinking of that because I know a stopover can only be done on a round trip ticket.

18. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

@Kiwi Ian - I'm almost certain that for it to be considered a round-trip they need to be booked out of the same account. You'd want to book one adult + child out of one account and the other adult out of the other account. You'll have different confirmation numbers but you'd be able to do both the stopover and the open jaw that way.

Tiffany and Kiwi Ian like this.
  19. Kiwi Ian

Kiwi Ian Member

Yep, that's what I figured. Unfortunately, before I realized these rules about stopovers I had already booked the first leg and done all three of us on my account. When I get the return flight booked I'll call United and see if they can somehow move things around so we can do a stopover if we desire.

I'm looking at the return flight on Aeroplan and there's a good route from SYD-BKK-BRU-IAD at 80,000 miles per person in business. But if I try and build the exact same itinerary on United, it says it's 110,000 miles. Is that because it's so far out, or some quirk of United's web site? I can definitely do a different route that avoids Brussels and build that on United for 80,000 miles, so just curious what's going on.

20. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

@Kiwi Ian - United charges more for flights when the trans-oceanic legs are on partner metal vs. UA metal. Could that be the difference?