ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Upgrade

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Redmd1, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Redmd1

Redmd1 New Member

American has changed the upgrade process. They will not guarantee an upgrade to business class with miles at the time of purchase. You have to wait until a short time before departure before getting the upgrade. Is there a way around this other than outright purchasing the business class ticket?

2. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

Hi, I don't think that's an actual process change, it's just the state of American award availability. Typically, upgrade inventory on American is linked to award inventory (same fare code bucket).

You can still upgrade immediately with miles/copayment, but the inventory needs to be there. That is what has primarily changed. Business class award inventory has been virtually non-existent over the past year.

American does process upgrades close to departure based on EVIP certificates, then miles/copay. So unfortunately, you're not even at the top of the upgrade list.

Hope that makes sense!

3. Redmd1

Redmd1 New Member

Thanks!
    For many years, being Platinum used to work, though.

rickyw likes this.