ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Award Redemption UR points redemption vs transfer to partner

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Nadroj, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Nadroj

Nadroj New Member

@Lucky,

I apologize if this has already been explained, but I have not seen it spelled out very clearly (and I have been a daily reader for about 2 years now). What is you general strategy for CSR holders…should you book through the UR portal and use your UR points there, or is it ever better value to transfer to an airline and book the reward through that airline? (Looking at domestic AA flights). Until now I have always just booked through the Chase portal, but I am starting to have a feeling that that may not always be the smartest???

2. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

The answer is really "it depends". You can typically get better bang for your buck - especially for premium cabin international flights - by transferring the points to a frequent flyer program and booking an award seat.

But what if there are no saver-level award seats on the days you want to fly? What if you're locked into to very specific dates/times. What if you need multiple award seats but only one is available? Booking through the portal may be what you want to do to be sure you get the seats you want.

Sometimes even domestic flights can be quite expensive. For this coming ski season I booked through a credit card portal because instead of 25K round-trip economy flights, the lowest level offered was 35K. Airlines often do this to seasonal airports where they know seats will be in high demand.

With your CSR you'll get a fixed value for each point. When transferring to an airline it's possible to get over 2 cents per point in value - but only if the award seat is available.