ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

What compensation can we claim for being stuck in the tarmac for nearly 3hrs and luggage delay-8 day

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by AMD, Jan 12, 2018.

1. AMD

AMD Reader

Hello Lucky,

I and my wife recently flew on Etihad (EY101) that was rerouted to IAD due to an airport shutdown at JFK on the 4th of January, 2018. We were kept on board for nearly 3 hours while we waited in the tarmac. Also, after they offloaded the passengers they didn't offload the luggage, as a result our luggage was eventually returned to us by FedEx after 8 days. I purchased my ticket with my Chase Sapphire reserve card. I was wondering what compensation can I claim from Etihad for the delay.

Thanks a lot in advance!
    AMD

2. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

If you have documented expenses you had to incur because of the delay, you could submit those and try to get them reimbursed. . However, be prepared that Etihad will probably cite weather to you for the delay. You could also file a claim with the Chase reserve insurance that should protect you.

3. David W

David W Well-Known Member

Agree with Gaurav - not sure what EY will offer considering that everything was a direct result of the bomb cyclone, but do call and ask. However, between getting home and when the luggage arrived 8 days later, if you had to purchase any necessities, you may be able to file a travel insurance claim thru Chase and be reimbursed.

4. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

Kinda strange though, I wonder why they didn't offload luggage at IAD.

5. David W

David W Well-Known Member

No idea but I want to assume that many flights were diverted and there was simply no room to offload bags to without passengers there to pick them up right away.