ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Which CC to use with Travel Agency

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by MMM, Oct 11, 2017.

1. MMM

MMM Member

I don't want to miss any bonus points opportunities so I want to know which card to use for a travel agency. Not sure how they are coded by cc companies.

I can do Chase Reserve, Amex Platinum or SPG personal. If no bonus points are expected, I know Lucky values SPG the highest...of which I have the fewest points compared to the rest.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

2. David W

David W Well-Known Member

Depends on how the agents process charges. I've paid with a card at a travel agent for flights and it turned out that the airline directly processed the charge.

Chase Reserve is probably your best bet - 3x on travel. Amex Platinum is only 5x if its charged directly by the airline. While valuable, you'd be earning the least number of points with SPG.

MidSouth Skier likes this.
  3. MMM

MMM Member

Thanks David. I didn't know Chase counted travel agencies as travel.

4. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

It depends on how the agency is coded. You might consider asking them if they know or having them run a small test charge first.

5. MMM

MMM Member

It looks like it went through directly to Air Canada. I had given them my SPG card but Bec of fraud alert settings I got an email & I was able to see the merchant. The travel agency was kind enough to do a refund on the SPG card & ring it up on my Amex Plat. Im hoping it really codes as airfare. Thanks!